2.19.2011

A family that…..

eats together stays together.  Or so it’s been said.  I am one of those people that truly believes in the benefits of eating as a family….at the table!  The benefits of taking the time in our busy schedules to sit down, connect, and eat together are immeasurable.  Eating a meal with people gives one a sense of belonging.  Your kids will know that you matter to them.  It’s a great time to teach manners and social skills!  Having regular family meals is hands down, one of the most important things you can do to raise emotionally and physically healthy kids.  Kyle and I both share the same views on the importance of eating dinner together as a family.  The tv is turned off, the kids often help set the table, and although the meals are usually nothing glorious we sit down and enjoy what we have.  Our girls are young yet, and I will not lie – meal time can be very hectic!  At any given meal we most definitely will either have a glass of milk spilled, a child needing to get up and go to the bathroom, or someone complain about what they have to eat.  I don’t want to paint a picture that it’s some major event – in fact usually it’s quite opposite!  Nonetheless I know that we are building good values in our kids, and for that I feel great!  I challenge you to eat meals as a family as much as possible.  You will not be sorry you did and your kids will really appreciate it when they are grown!

And just for fun, here is a list of the meals we often have – just to show you it’s NOTHING extravagant!

tacos                    enchiladas

chicken bake      burgers

bbq                      grilled meat

spaghetti             chicken broccoli alfredo

even sometimes breakfast food

BLT’s                   soup

 

So, now it’s your turn – tell me about your family meals – what do they love, what do they ask for over and over again?!

MandaKay

2 comments:

Janet said...

I totally agree, Manda! We eat as a family around the table at LEAST 5 nights a week. No TV, no phones, no nothing. We even have a box of family conversation/fun games to play as people start finishing up. The kids love it and it helps them want to stay at the table and enjoy each other. Our favorite meals: chicken enchiladas, Chicken Tikka Masala (Indian), Make-Your-Own-Pizzas, Breakfast for Dinner, Spaghetti & homemade breadsticks, roast beef, and Italian Chicken (chicken breasts/strips marinated in Italian dressing and then served with rice, noodles, or on a sandwich).

Melissa said...

We believe in eating as a family at the table too. We even do it on the nights we have to run to dance and gymnastics, even if Ryan isn't home yet. Our favorite meals are chicken chili, tacos, chicken cordon bleu, steaks on the grill, quiche, roast beef, etc.