I don't remember where I heard this expression. I think it was at a MOPS meeting I was at. I liked it and it has stuck with me. Here is what the dictionary says martyr means:
mar·tyr /ˈmɑrtər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mahr-ter] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a person who willingly suffers death rather than renounce his or her religion.
2. a person who is put to death or endures great suffering on behalf of any belief, principle, or cause: a martyr to the cause of social justice.
3. a person who undergoes severe or constant suffering: a martyr to severe headaches.
4. a person who seeks sympathy or attention by feigning or exaggerating pain, deprivation, etc. –verb (used with object)
5. to make a martyr of, esp. by putting to death.
6. to torment or torture.
OK - so number 4 is the meaning I am using by the way. So, in this speech the woman was asking us if we were playing the martyr in our homes. Did we always exaggerate our pain - as in work, mothering, cleaning, etc...? I had to answer yes at the time. I have to answer yes now! I am working thru it though. An hour ago - while cleaning up ketchup off the floor and looking at our mud/snow filled entry way I was being a martyr. I was seeking sympathy. I even called Kyle to complain. My goal for this afternoon is to not play the martyr - how about you - are you with me? No matter how busy life is and how mad I get about a ketchup stained floor I am going to try and remind myself that God has a purpose for me EVERY DAY!
Selah had her 2 yr. old check up at the Dr. today. She weighs 26 lbs. 15.5 oz. and was 33 3/4" tall. Basically around 50% - average. She needed her second Hep A shot and also needed to get poked to have her iron checked again. She is still showing as anemic, so the Dr. ordered a prescription of iron and then she will need some lab work in April - to see if the iron is doing it's job. Otherwise everything looked good! She was a trooper!
No school in the area today - we got dumped with snow last night. The plows just now at 2:00pm made it thru our subdivision! Our subdivision roads had probably 1-2 feet of snow on them in some areas - I was glad I have 4 wheel drive this morning! It sure is pretty to see the fluffy white stuff falling out our back window though - at noon I felt like I was in a snowglobe!!! The down side to all this snow is just getting out and about in it with kids - makes it a little more rough to get the kids in and out of the car - maybe more because it is freezing too - LOL!
Just a few more days to pick up the Songbird Avenue kit this month - it was made by Shabby Miss Jenn Designs and the money is going to the Lupus Foundation of America. They do such a good job at Songbird Ave. picking good charities! I have a lot of scrapping to do here in the next week or so - just stuff that is twirling around in my head and as I look thru my new photoshop stuff I just am so inspired to create LO's! The Lilypad and SMJ keep coming out with such great new products all the time - I LOVE it! I also picked up the new kit at Digital Design Essentials by Gina Cabrera - great kit! I have not heard anything yet on new stuff from Shabby Princess, but I bet she will be putting something out here soon too!!!
Well, I am off to sit and scrap now - hopefully can come back and show off some LO's in the next day or so!
MandaKay
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
I hear ya about getting out in this snow... it's no fun, at least my roads are plowed though!
LOVING the snow day- hoping for another tomorrow and Thursday- may luck up with the weather they are predicting for the next 2 days. Our subdivision didn't get plowed until 4:30- I got stuck leaving when we headed out and got stuck on the way back in in our driveway. Definitely need 4x4 in these conditions. Keep on that iron for Selah- that is what Brooks was hospitalized for- did they tell you to cut back on milk for her? They think that is what causes it in the little ones.
This is kinda on the subject...but off the subject...I have 2 little ones...and breastfed them both for a year. I totally wanted to do it..but also felt trapped at times and would complain to my Mom about the pain and how time consuming it was for me. She ended up titling me "the martyr". When the baby would cry...she would say.."time to be the martyr"...it was a big joke in my family!
Yeah for sure cut back on the milk for her. It absorbs some of the iron. I remember doctor K telling us that about Eva too.
Hope you're having a good day!! Talk to ya later!
What a great post (I'm Sarah's neighbor in case you don't remember!) I have spent the last five days playing the martyr and this really snapped me out of it! Thank you so much! I've been marching around the house complaining that no one helps me clean up and they always make a mess, blah, blah, blah! I need to be grateful!
Post a Comment