Since my blog is titled Everyday Life, I thought I would post a picture I took this morning that just spoke "everyday life" to me. On most mornings, my daughters will get dressed before coming downstairs. They do this because if they get dressed before coming downstairs then I can't dictate to them what they can and cannot wear. ;) This is especially true if Braelyn and Selah get up at the same time, because Braelyn will help Selah get dressed. Sometimes she will dress Selah in her clothes and sometimes she will dress her sister in her own clothes that are a little too big. This is one battle I just don't fight too hard unless we are going somewhere that I absolutely don't want to be seen with a child that is wearing "THAT". :) Anyway - after the girls get dressed (lately it has been in jeans, a shirt, and then a dress over top b/c Braelyn wants to wear dresses so badly!), they come downstairs. They grab themselves a bowl of cereal - again - helping eachother out and whispering all the way! They then go over to our office, turn on their cartoons, and hop up on top of the couch and munch away. This all takes place generally between 6:30am and 7:00. Kyle is up by then getting himslef ready for work - if not heading out the door at that point, and I am normally laying in bed trying to wake up. Gracyn follows shortly after which forces me to get out of bed and get her! Anyway - I had to take a picture of it this morning b/c it just made my little 'ole heart well right up for some reason. The mirror above our couch was full of fingerprints and in that moment I didn't care. The girls looked a little raggemuffinish, but again - I didn't care. These are my girls. This is my life - I embraced it for a moment! Then it was off to work! ;)
I believe that much of this came from a God moment I had last night. I have been in a bible study with a bunch of great friends and we are nearing the end of the book: There's Gotta be More. Enjoying the Spirit Filled Life. Now it's not that this book hasn't given me little revelations all the way thru, but I must say last night was like - WOW - this was written for me! In chapter 21 - Follow Me As I Follow Christ - there is a section about the writer George Barna, who wrote Growing Disciples, and he asks every Christian to ask themselves "To what are you absolutely, fanatically devoted? I answered this in all honesty and said "digital scrapbooking". Sad isn't it? I know I am truly devoted to God, but am I fanatical??? Not really. Just being honest. Anyway, the chapter goes on to talk about a little tribute that a woman wrote for her mentor. It was all about how the best book that she has ever read about how to passionately and obediently follow God was not a book at all, it was her friend - a person. She goes on to explain how this woman lived her life. It was so well written. As I was reading it I thought "wow - I wish someone could say those GREAT things about me"! I am going to write out the last paragraph of this woman's letter to her friend:
"There have been those who have told me through the years, "you are going to be a writer. You will write a book someday". But the only book I desire to leave on this earth is one like my friend is writing - the story of a godly life filled with pages of obedience and God's grace, a story written in love for my husband and children to read. And may their response be, "I want to know Jesus more."
Isn't that what you want? I just thought it was very ironic that after I answered scrapbooking as what I am fanatical about - in a sense - our story, that this would bring me to a whole different perspective on our story. On my story. Now, I am not going to STOP scrapbooking - come on now - that would be near impossible for me! But I do realize that I need to be maybe more fanatical about my relationship to God.
OK - I am going to spend a little more time with my family before I go scrapbooking for the weekend! See I can't stop!
Have a great weekend!
MandaKay



2 comments:
So cute that they dress themselves, feed themselves and help themselves to cartoons! They'll remember those special sister moments forever! I think they look quite cute in their outfits. And once again, I LOVE Selah's typical "pose."
Quite possibly my favorite blog post you've ever written. From the description of a morning with the girls and the every day photo to your thoughts on that book. I haven't carved out the time to read it yet and I'm going to make it my goal to finish it by April 1st because I'd like to start a read-along of a book that mom's got of mine that starts then so it'll be good to get me into the habit of taking time out of the day to just sit and read. Nearly impossible for me for some reason. Hope you had a great time on your scrappin' getaway.
Post a Comment