4.14.2010

My “savings” addiction

So I have a thing about saving money. I’ve always been quite frugal really. Kyle and i make quite a pair because we both are very “thoughtful” spenders. We don’t do too many impulse buys, everything gets thought about and talked about. I’ve always used coupons, but more so lately. I just wanted to spotlight a few of the blogs I frequent for heads up on coupons and match-ups. Some are local and some are basic savings/free things blogs!

Savingaddiction.com – Two moms who are addicted to saving money. They are Michigan residents, so they spotlight Meijer & Family Fare matchups and so many more!

WestMichiganMommy.com – Another local gal who gives great match-ups, free weekend events, and so much more!

Hip2Save.com – Blog is written by Collin, a Marine Corps wife/mom. She seems so fun and quirky – love it! She has so many great freebie links and coupon heads ups!

CouponingToDisney.com – This mom saves throughout the year just to pay for her annual Disney trips! This is not really all Disney related, she just has a wealth of information and different ways to save money!

There are definitely more that I check every once in a while, but these are my main blogs to check! It is quite easy to get addicted to really. I LOVE getting free lotions, body washes, tampons, diapers, etc… in the mail – I usually get a couple free things a week! I also love seeing my regular grocery bill have a higher savings number than the actual amount paid number. The other week I got a TON of groceries (things I buy normally anyway – name brand stuff) for $61. I saved $76 on that trip! That means my bill would have normally been $137 (which is usually what my weekly bill is!). If that doesn’t get you a little excited, then I don’t know what does! ;)

Another one of my new things is SWAGBUCKS. I was a little leery of this stuff at first, but it has been nothing but great and easy! It’s a search engine that awards you in the form of Swag Bucks (points that can be traded in for prizes.) You can chose from a variety of prizes including gift cards. My favorite is a $5 Amazon.com gift card. It costs 450 Swag Bucks. I just cashed in for 3 $5 Amazon cards!!! That will help me get the watch I have been wanting!

You get 30 Swag Bucks for joining and can win anywhere from 20 – 50 Swag Bucks a day if you search until you win in the morning and in the evening. I usually win within my first 5 searches. They also have Swag Codes out at least 5 times a week that can be worth 10 – 30 Swag Bucks. I figure I do searches on a pretty regular basis anyway – might as well get something for it! If this is something that might interest you just head on over here and sign up! You will see Swagbucks mentioned on each of the blogs listed above as well – sometimes they will give you a heads up on a swagcode out that will help you earn points! I’ve even done some of my shopping thru Swagbucks to earn extra bucks – like the last 2 Crocs deals that I just “HAD” to buy because Collin on Hip2Save spotlighted them. (honestly, who can turn down Croc flip flops for $5.95 shipped?)

So, that is just a snippet of what I have been doing to save money lately! I just try to really stick true to only buying things that I actually use on a regular basis, so that I am not just buying because it is a deal. Then it wouldn’t really be saving me money! I have a little stockpile of certain things, but I don’t go too nuts. Even before all of this major couponing we would buy things only when they were on sale for the most part at Meijer, so we are used to doing those type of things already. Can’t do that with everything obviously, but with a lot of things you can and we do! You should see the stack of coupons I have been handing the lady at check out – yikes – I kind of feel bad, but then I see my final bill and I just smile and give a great big THANK YOU! Sorry if you are behind me in line – I try to keep things moving quickly so as not to be a bother to anyone! I have now become the crazy coupon lady, and I am super duper proud of it! :) If you have any questions feel free to ask!

MandaKay

(I know I know – no LO’s today – weird!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shhhh... I haven't told people that I've been reading hip2save for over a year and a half. That way they don't know the deals I've gotten on their gifts ie the Victoria Secret deals last year, the magazine subscriptions, the lego deal last summer, the Tulle coats for $5!! I'm kinda kidding since I don't think any of my fam reads your blog, so you're not giving it away. I've been heavily couponing for three years now and it's amazing what you can save. My swagbuck prize took FOREVER to come in the mail. Have you found the same to be true?

De Vries Family said...

Thanks for the links that you posted. I love to save money, but feel like I never get good savings like other people do. Where do you get all your coupons from?

Denise said...

Amanda- I was wondering the same? WHere do you find your coupons? How much time would you say you spend getting the coupons and stuff? I feel like it's so time consuming but maybe I"m not doing it right! Way to go and I think it's totally cool!