9.08.2008

It's beginning to look alot like a kitchen!!!


It's coming together folks! Very exciting! I am so stressed with picking all the final stuff out, it's giving me migraines! We hung out there tonight and cleaned up a bit so the trim guys can just keep working! We also have our garage doors and a driveway and sidewalk leading to the house! It was raining tonight so I didn't get pictures of that - maybe later in the week!


This girl can play a kazoo better than me! I have never seen anything like it. Not even one and the girl can play a whole song on the thing! :) Again - where did my baby go?



These snails were all over the other morning and Braelyn and Selah were loving them!

Have you ever heard this song??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG9XfJxMY8A - You're Gonna Miss This by Trace Adkins. You must listen to the words if you haven't heard it before. I have a little take on it. Just hear me out - if you don't agree that is fine - it's just my theory.

I am not sure I have ever once thought "man, I miss our dating days", or "man, I miss our newlywed days", and I highly doubt I'll miss these CRAZY days of toddler hood. Now, again, hear me out. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy dating or being newlyweds. I'm not saying I don't love being a mom. I'm saying I don't ever LONG to go back to certain era's. I have so much to look forward too in the future. Now, don't get me wrong - I know the point that the song is making - he's saying don't wish the days away. That I would agree with - even though I often say to myself - "Oh if only my kids were each 2 years older". I know one day I will wish I didn't wish them away, but I know for a fact I wouldn't wish to go back either. Kyle and I talk about how each stage is going to be busy in it's own way. When we were dating, we thought we were busy. When we were newlyweds - we thought we were busy. With three kids 4 and under - we KNOW we are busy. But guess what? We look at our parents (both sets) and we say "wow - they are busy". I don't know anyone who is not busy! Each stage of life presents something new. Something different. I embrace that rather than wishing for the past. I kinda think that is the way God intended it also. I think it's great to remember the memories of years past, but I don't know if we were intended to wish for the past back. I remember watching a Nooma video by Rob Bell called Today, and in it Rob says this:


How much time and energy do we spend wishing things were how they used to be? We often think about times in our past when things were different and want our lives to be like that again. Some of us have even come to believe that our best days may actually be behind us. But if we’re in some way hung up on the past, what does that mean for our lives now? How are we and those around us affected if we’re not fully present? If we’re longing for the way things used to be, what does that really say about our understanding and appreciation of our lives today? Maybe we need to learn to embrace our past for what it is, in order to live our lives to the fullest, right here, right now.

I think this is some of the reason I listen to Trace's song and think, "man, I don't want to go back to any point in my life. I want to embrace where I am at right now!" Again, that does not mean I won't look back at pictures and smile, or that I won't look at that above picture of Gracyn and say where does the time go, but I do want to try to live for today and for my future - because I know I was made for great things!

By the way - I do love the song still!!!

4 comments:

TheCatLord said...

i know the song and how interesting that you bring this up! i totally get what you are saying manda.
i miss not having babies anymore but i don't want to go back, nor do i want to have anymore-jay and i just had this convo yesterday! our season for having babies is over and now we are in the season of raising them. they are beautiful children and we are enjoying them in this season as God intended. i have to agree also that we will always be busy i think, just different kinds of busy! it's all good though! thanks for the post, good food for thought!

Lynette said...

I have to say that I would love to go back and just hold my babies for the first time again, but really want none of the stuff that goes with that, sleepless nights, crying babies, the list could go on and on! The busyness doesn't go away, it just keeps getting busier in my opinion!

Melissa said...

i hear ya! I was thinking about this kind of thing recently as mary started first grade. it is so weird to have her gone all day, but I wouldn't change it at all. I think about them being teenagers and it scares me to death, i am so not ready for that and I am not supposed to be yet. I trust I will be when I get there (i think, i don't know if anyone is really ever ready for teenagers :)) I don't look back, but I have just recently realized how very special this time is when they still like to hang out with mom and dad and they are soo cute. I am trying to always fully embrace that!

Anonymous said...

WOW..I was just emailing my pastor about that whole wanting things like they were in the past issue....how are you doing..looks like things are coming along there:)